Did you buy a Gosund Smart Plug recently, and now you’re wondering how to setup Gosund Smart Plug?
Smart plugs are among the popular and easily accessible gadgets for smart home aficionados. As a result, it’s quite tempting to turn your entire house into a smart home – one that’s fully interconnected and easy to access through your smartphone or voice commands.
You can turn all of your dumb gadgets and appliances into smart devices using smart plugs. By linking your appliances to smart plugs, you can control them via an app over Wi-Fi and create routines using apps on your smartphone or tablets.
Gosund Smart plugs are simple to set up; all you need to do is plug them into an outlet and configure them using an app on your smartphone.
This post will go over precisely what you have to do to get your Gosund smart plug setup and running. We will also include some troubleshooting suggestions to help if you run into a hitch.
What you will need before you begin
You’ll need the following prerequisites to setup your Gosund Smart Plug and connect it to the internet:
- A Bluetooth-enabled smartphone or tablet with WiFi internet access.
- Install “Smart Life” app on your device
- A WiFi network with a frequency of 2.4GHz. Most smart plugs support only 2.4 GHz frequency
- A functional AC outlet within range of your 2.4GHz WiFi network
Gosund Smart Plug Setup
The Gosund WiFi smart plug easily fits into a standard Type B outlet and takes less than 10 minutes to install.
Simply plug it in, download the Gosund Smart Life app for iOS or Android, and connect it to your 2.4GHz wireless network. Remember that the Gosund smart plug does not support 5GHz wireless networks; only 2.4GHz wireless networks are supported.
Gosund smart plugs are compatible with two apps: Gosund and Smart Life. While Gosund is the official app, Smart Life is a third-party app approved by Gosund (also listed in their packaging). You can use either of these apps to configure your Gosund smart plug. However, we suggest using Smart Life as it has a better interface and seamlessly connects your smart plug.
- Install Smart Life app on your device. It is compatible with devices running iOS 8.0 or later, Android 4.4 or above.
- To create an account, tap ‘Register’ and enter your email address or phone number.
- Check that your Gosund smart plug is plugged into an AC outlet and that the blue light is flashing
- Tap the ‘+’ icon or the ‘Add Device’ button
- You can search for the Gosund smart plug using the ‘Add Manually’ or ‘Auto Scan’ options. If you select ‘Auto Scan,’ the app will search for all Gosund smart plugs in the proximity.
- Connect your smart plug to a 2.4GHz home Wi-Fi network
- You may now see a list of all your Gosund smart plugs on the home screen. You can turn the plug on or off
- Access the settings of single plugs by tapping on their names.
- Assign a unique name to your smart plugs by clicking on the pen icon at the top.
- In the settings menu, you can also specify timings and schedules to switch your Gosund smart plugs on or off once
- The ‘Smart Scenes’ option allows you to set up several smart plugs as a separate unit. For example, you may group the smart plugs in your kitchen into a single ‘scene,’ making it easier to manage them with just a tap.
- You may also set up automation based on temperature, humidity, sunrise and sunset, weather, and others using the ‘Automations’ option.
How to Connect Gosund Smart Plug to Alexa
If you want to add voice control to manage your appliances using a smart plug, they can also be linked to the Amazon Echo. Here are the step-by-step instructions to show you how to connect the Gosund smart plug to Alexa.
- Get an Alexa-enabled smart device like Amazon Echo
- Finish Smart Life app setup on your device
- Give a unique name to your Gosund smart plug. This is important as you’ll use this name in your voice commands.
- Download and install the Alexa app on your iOS or Android device
- Tap on the three horizontal lines from the upper left corner and choose ‘Skills and Games’.
- Look for ‘Smart Life’ in the Alexa app and enable it.
- Connect your Gosund smart plug, Smart Life app, and Amazon Alexa by entering your Smart Life credentials
- Now, Alexa will locate all of your Gosund smart plugs using the ‘Discover Devices’ option.
- At this step, you can configure the smart plug in a group with other devices, or you can skip this step
- Try using Alexa voice commands like “Alexa, turn on the lamp” to check if you can control your Gosund smart plug via Alexa
How to Connect Gosund Smart Plug to Google Home
Here are the step-by-step instructions to show you how to connect the Gosund smart plug to Google Home:
- You will need a Google Home hub or smart speaker
- Finish the Smart Life installation
- Give your Gosund smart plug a distinct name
- Connect your Gosund smart plug to the correct AC outlet and ensure it is linked to your Smart Life account
- Install the Google Home app from the Google Play or App Store.
- Select the ‘+’ icon
- Search up ‘Smart Life’
- Enter your Smart Life login details
- Google Home will detect your connected smart plug and allow you to control it via Google Assistant
How to Connect Gosund Smart Plug to Apple HomeKit
Gosund smart plugs aren’t compatible with Apple HomeKit. But there’s a workaround for those who want to go the extra mile for it. The workaround is quite complex, so we are just going to summarize it here, and you can watch the video to understand its workings better.
The HomeKit API enables bridges, such as Philips Hue, to link child devices that use different protocols. Simply add the bridge as a device to HomeKit, and it will recognize each device connected to it, including Gosund smart plug. When you request to update the smart plug, your phone contacts the bridge and interacts with the smart plug.
A bridge simply transmits information from one API to the next. As Gosund smart plugs are controlled through the internet, they can be connected to HomeKit using software—no special hardware is needed.
Check out the video below to understand this complex method:
How to Connect Gosund Smart Plug to IFTTT
Here are the instructions on how to connect Gosund smart plug to IFTTT:
- Download IFTTT from the Play Store or the App Store.
- Create an account using your Google or Facebook login credentials.
- At the bottom of the IFTTT screen, tap ‘Search’ and look for ‘Smart Life’
- When prompted, enter your Smart Life login details
- Select ‘Link Now’
Gosund Smart Plug – Troubleshooting
- If the blue light indicator on the smart plug is not flashing when plugged for the first time, push and hold the On/Off button for 5 to 10 seconds and check if it begins flashing.
- If the smart plug cannot connect to Wi-Fi, push and hold the On/Off button for 5-10 seconds to hard reset the smart plug
- The smart plug is only compatible with a 2.4GHz WiFi frequency. If you have a dual-band router (supporting both 2.4GHz and 5GHz), select the 2.4GHz network during setup.
- For the initial setup of the smart plug, ensure that you plug it close to your Wi-Fi router. After the setup, you can move the smart plug to other locations in the house.
How To Fix “Gosund Smart Plug Not Connecting” Issue
If your Gosund smart plug fails to connect, try the following troubleshooting steps:
Check Wi-Fi Connection
The most typical cause of this issue is a faulty connection. First, you should check if your home network is functional. Then, give a quick restart to your router to fix the issue. Another option is to check the bandwidth – 2.4GHz and 5GHz. Your Gosund smart plug only connects to 2.4GHz frequency.
Reset Your Smart Plug
If your Wi-Fi is functioning well but your smart plug is still experiencing connectivity challenges, a quick reset may help. You can reset your Gosund smart plug by pressing the power button on the device for up to 10 seconds. After that, you will see a green light flashing. Once you are done with this drill, you will have to set up the smart plug all over again.
Wipe App Data
The app itself sometimes causes this issue. In this case, clearing the app data may resolve the issue. If the device is already paired, the first thing you should do is unpair it. Go to your phone’s settings > app settings > storage settings > clear all data.
After that, reopen the app and log in to your Gosund account. Add the smart plug to the app from the homepage by tapping the +icon in the upper right corner. It may resolve the connectivity issue, allowing you to control your device remotely.
Return/Replace the Plug
There also lies a possibility that your smart plug is defective. If none of the troubleshooting methods work for you, we suggest contacting Gosund support and explaining your problem. You should place a replacement request for the smart plug.
Gosund WiFi smart plugs are robust and seldom cause problems, but if you have problems, you can simply fix them by following this setup guide. If you have any questions, you may contact customer care at email@example.com.
Overall, Gosund smart plugs are among the best indoor smart plugs on the market, balancing cost and advanced functionality. Sure, you don’t get the same level of smart home integration as you do with some other smart plugs, but if you’re on a tight budget, Gosund smart plugs are bang for the buck.
We hope our guide helps you in understanding Gosund smart plug setup. Let us know in the comments!