Just bought a universal remote control and can’t find the 4 digit code to use it? Don’t worry. I’ve been there too. And finding the correct code is easier than it seems.
Many tutorials on the internet will tell you to enter every code manually. But that method is time-consuming. Instead, you can very easily enter brand-specific TV codes. And you can even program the TV without a code!
So how do you find your 4 digit code on your TV? Here’s my ultimate guide.
How Do You Find Your 4 digit Code on Your TV?
To find the 4 digit code for your TV, you’ll need to consult the user manual of the universal remote. Search for your brand and model of the device to find your code in the table. Alternatively, you can refer to our list below to find your TV code.
4 Digit Universal Remote Codes
Can’t find the right TV code for your remote? Don’t worry, I’ve got you covered. Although you may need to review a more comprehensive reference list (see links below the table), here’s a short list to help you get started. All of these universal TV remote codes are working as of 2022 and can be used to set up your remote to your TV.
|TV Brand||4 Digit Remote Codes|
|SAMSUNG||0105, 0077, 0076|
|MITSUBISHI||0005, 0151, 0051, 0004|
|Chun Yun||0000, 0003, 0009|
|SHARP||0079, 0123, 0063|
|TOSHIBA||0159, 0178, 0120|
|LG||0050, 0005, 0227|
|Samsung||0019, 0618, 0644|
|FISHER||0049, 0110, 0268, 0180|
|PANASONIC||0171, 0148, 0054|
|KTV||0053, 0014, 0021, 0042|
|Altice USA||1111, 0821, 0001|
|SKY||0037, 0282, 0556|
|ZENITH||0121, 0009, 0091|
|RCA||0031, 0004, 0100|
Universal Remote Codes by Brand
- RCA Universal Remote Codes List — Our full list of codes for all makes and models of TVs that should work with most universal remote controls, not just RCA
- Onn Universal Remote Codes List — A full list of Onn TV remote codes including all of the codes for the 6 in 1 universal remote control
- Magnavox Universal Remote Codes List — Our complete list of Magnavox 4 digit codes for TV, DVD, Cable box, Soundbars, and more
- Vizio Universal Remote Codes — All the 2, 3, 4, and 5 digit Vizio remote codes for all devices as well as how to program their Vizio branded universal remote with and without codes
- GE Universal Remote Codes — Our biggest list yet, includes all GE codes for all device types and a special section on GE universal remote codes for Vizio TVs
- Philips Universal Remote Codes — All the Philips universal remote 4 digits codes for all devices with a full programming guide
How Do I Program a Universal Remote Without a Code?
Don’t have TV codes? No problem. There’s another method that doesn’t require a universal TV remote code. However, it requires that you have your old universal remote with you. And it takes a lot of manual programming. Here’s how:
Step 1 – Face the Remotes Towards Each Other
Find your old remote and make sure they have fresh batteries. Then, make sure your old and new universal remotes are facing each other. You’ll want the LED lights on the remotes to face each other too. Place them close together.
Step 2 – Locate the Manual Programming Code
Locate the universal TV remote code that enables your remote for manual programming in the original manual. Look for your brand and model number in the reference table provided in the manual. If you don’t have it, search for it online, contact the manufacturer, or try another method.
Step 3 – Enter the Code
Press the SETUP button on the new remote. Then, enter the manual setup TV codes using the keypad. After every keypress, the LED button should light up. But it’s not necessary.
Step 4 – Program the Remote
Now it’s time to program the remote. On the new remote, press the key that you want to program.
Then, press the corresponding key on your old remote. It may help to press and hold the button for a few seconds. The LED light on your old remote will blink to show that your preference has been recorded.
Repeat the process for every button on your new remote that you want to program.
Step 5 – Press Setup to Finish
Once that’s done, press the SETUP button on the new remote to end the manual programming mode. Now, press any key on your new remote and check that it works with the TV.
Stuck on a step? Here’s a detailed guide that explains the steps in detail.
How To Set Up a Universal Remote
Alternate Method – Auto-Search for TV Codes
An easier method is to have your remote automatically search for the universal TV remote code. This should only be done after you’ve exhausted all your TV codes since it takes more time.
- Press the Power button on the device that you’re going to be pairing with your remote.
- Locate the code in your remote’s manual that makes your remote enter Search mode. If you do not have the manual, search for the code online or try a different method.
- Now, press and hold the SETUP button and use the remote’s keypad to enter the code.
- Next, press and hold the Power button. Keep holding it and press the Channel Up button until your device switches off.
- Once these steps are complete, your remote has been set up. You should use the buttons on the remote to see if they work with the TV.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you find out your TV code?
There are many ways to find the right TV codes. The easiest way is to look through the manual. But there are other things you can try. Here are some of the methods you can use to find out your TV code
- Read the user manual of both the remote and the device (TV, DVD, etc.)
- Search online for a list of codes related to your device.
- Search online for any list of codes that is not brand-specific (recommended if you have an unbranded TV).
- Contact the manufacturer of your device for the right code.
This is the first step. Through this, you will acquire a list of codes that can be used. Note that it may not be the case that all of these TV codes will work with your device.
What Is the 4 digit code for a Samsung Smart TV?
The most common code for Samsung Smart TVs is 0000. But in case you’re not certain or the code isn’t working, then here’s what you can do. First, go to Settings on your TV. Then, scroll down until you find the Link with the TV Code menu. Click on it. A blue TV code will appear on the screen. That is your 4 digit TV code. Note it for future reference.
How do I find the 4 digit code for My Panasonic TV?
It’s rather easy to find the 4 digit TV codes for your Panasonic TV.
- Switch the TV on and press and hold the TV and SEL keys. Continue pressing them for 3 seconds.
- The LED on your remote should light on.
- Next, point the universal remote towards the TV and enter the TV codes. You can find the universal TV remote code by searching online by brand and code number.
- Then, press and hold the SET button to enter the code.
- Now, try to change anything, like changing the volume or the channel. Your remote should work fine with your TV.
- Next, press the TV button on your remote. This will store the code into your remote, so you don’t have to enter it every time.
Finding the right TV codes to use with your TV remote is never easy. To summarize, you can find your 4 digit universal remote codes through the user manual or by searching online. It’s best to look for brand-specific codes first. Then, you’ll need to manually enter each code into your TV using the method described above.
And that’s it for how do you find your 4 digit code on your TV! If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask in the comments!