So you ended up losing sight of your AirPods case, and now you are just anxiously searching — how to find AirPods case and are ready to leave no stone unturned to find your AirPods. Don’t worry; we have got you covered!
How to find AirPod case? While you can find your AirPods by using the “Find my iPhone” app on your iPhone and playing loud sounds, it is a bit of a challenge to find the AirPods case as it is incapable of playing any sound. But as long as you see the green dot next to your paired AirPods in the Find my iPhone app, your AirPods case is nearby!
Yes, you need more luck to find AirPods case, but all hope is not lost. We have got a few more tricks that you can pull to find your AirPods case.
How to Find AirPod Case
Your AirPods case can be traced with the help of the “Find my iPhone” app for users operating under the MacOS Mojave. Mac users that have upgraded to MacOS Catalina will use the “Find My” app. Although it won’t play any sound if the AirPods are not in the case when you try to find the case alone, it will still show you if the case is around. Follow the steps below to find the AirPods case.
How to Find AirPods Case:
- Open the Find my iPhone app on your iPhone
- Check the list of devices you’ve paired with your iPhone and tap the option showing AirPods
- Check if your AirPods have a green light next to their name
- If there’s a green dot, then that means that the case is nearby
- If you see a grey dot instead, then that means that your AirPods case is not around. Grey light suggests that it is out of range
- For green dot, tap the play sound option to play loud music on your AirPods and track them by following the music
- If offline, tap the Car icon to see the last location of your AirPods
Although the best case scenario would be to have the AirPods inside the case and online as it will make it easier to find them faster, the other navigation option could also be quite effective with a little bit of luck on your side.
How to Find AirPod Case With AirPods Inside
Losing AirPods is one of the worst feelings, especially when you are a commuter and spend your journey without your buds (we mean wireless earbuds!). If you lost your AirPods case with AirPods inside them, then you can take a sigh of relief as your chances of finding them just went up. Follow the steps below to find your AirPods.
How to Find AirPods
- Open your iPhone and fire up the Find my iPhone app
- Check out the list of devices you’ve paired with your iPhone and choose the option with your AirPods
- If you see a green dot next to the name, there will also be a play button next to it
- Tap the play button, and it will start playing music, raise the volume to highest and follow the music to find your AirPods
While the above method works perfectly fine when your AirPods are online and you see the green light next to their name in the “Find my iPhone” app, what if you see a grey light that suggests they are offline? Well, don’t worry! Apple has added another option to track your AirPods if they are offline. The new feature guides you to the last location where your AirPods were online. Just follow the steps below.
How to find my AirPods if they are offline:
- First, open the Find My app and choose the AirPods from the drop-down menu on the left side of the screen.
- When you see a grey dot, this means they’re not connected to the Internet. Despite this, you’ll still be able to see where you’ve been previously. Navigate to their previous position by tapping the Car icon. Unfortunately, you can’t use AirPods to play music when they’re offline.
- Finally, you’ll have to go old school and search for your AirPods once you get to their location, i.e., play music on them by following the previous method.
You can also search for AirPods on iCloud.com if you don’t have your iPhone with you. You can locate your AirPods by logging in to your account and going to the Devices section.
How to Find AirPod Case: Case Only
It’s like finding your AirPods, except you’ll need a little bit of luck. It’s easier to find the AirPods case if you have both earbuds intact inside the case, but you can still locate the case with a bit of help from Apple’s iCloud.
How to find the AirPods case only:
- Open the Find My iPhone app and choose the AirPods from the list of paired devices
- When you see a grey dot, they’re offline. However, you’ll still be able to track their last location. Navigate to their previous position by tapping the Car button
- Since you only have the case to locate without AirPods inside it, you need to search the location precisely and hope to find them
How to Find AirPod Case: With Serial Number
We hate to break it to you, but it is impossible to use a serial number to locate your AirPods case
There is nothing else you can do with your serial number other than to receive a replacement. For a fee, you may call the Apple store with your serial number and check if they can get you a replacement.
Although you can try your luck with Apple even if you have AppleCare protection, chances are low for getting a break from the Cupertino giant since the warranty and Apple Care does not cover missing AirPods.
How to Find AirPod Case: Without My iPhone
Losing AirPods can be hard on users, but what if you lose them and do not even have access to your iPhone to track them using the Find my iPhone app. Thankfully, there’s a way around this. You can just sign in to your Apple account from any device on their website and access the last location of your AirPods. Nifty, right? Just follow the steps below to do that.
How to find AirPods case without iPhone:
- Open the iCloud website on your device and go to the Find My iPhone section
- Authenticate with your Apple ID and password (select the Apple ID that’s linked with your AirPods, in case you have several Apple IDs)
- Now, type in your Apple ID password
- Click on All Devices and choose your AirPods from the drop-down list
- The last location of each device is displayed as Offline under the device
How to Find AirPod Case: With Find My App
Apple’s Find My app is a savior. It was introduced with the updated macOS Catalina. The new version combines the features of Find My iPhone and Find My Friends into one streamlined app. It can show you the last location of your Apple devices, including AirPods. The app comes in handy for both online and offline AirPods. Additionally, it helps track your AirPods and AirPods case together and standalone.
How to find AirPods case with Find My app:
- Open your iPhone and fire up the Find my iPhone app
- Check out the list of devices you’ve paired with your iPhone or Apple ID and choose the option with your AirPods
- If you see a green dot next to the name, there will also be a play button next to it
- Tap the play button, and it will start playing music, raise the volume to highest and follow the music to find your AirPods (this method works when the AirPods case is nearby with AirPods inside it)
- If there is a grey dot next to the name of your AirPod, just hit the car button next to it and navigate to the last location (this method works when your AirPods case is not nearby and does not even have AirPods inside it)
The above-stated method works on Apple devices. But what if you do not have access to your Apple device? Well, you can always log in to your Apple account from any browser and track the last location of your AirPods. Here’s how you can do it.
How to find AirPods using any computer or phone (via browser):
- Open the iCloud website and go to the Find My iPhone section.
- Verify with your Apple ID and password (enter the Apple ID that’s linked with your AirPods).
- Click on All Devices and choose your AirPods from the drop-down list. Check its last location and make your move fast.
How to Find AirPod Case: With Older Find My iPhone App
What if you have your Apple ID on an old iPhone without the latest version of the Find My app? Well, you can still use the old Find My app to track your lost AirPods. Just follow the instructions below.
How to find my AirPod case with older Find My iPhone app:
- Open Find My iPhone app, scroll the list of paired devices, and then tap on your AirPods’ name.
- As soon as you tap the name, a map will open automatically, showing the last location of your wireless earbuds.
- Look out for the green dot before you tap the name of your AirPods. It means that the device is nearby, while a grey dot means that the device is offline. The old app also shows a blue dot that denotes the device you’re using to track AirPods.
- Once you reach the location, tap the Actions option in the Find My app
- If your AirPods are online, tap the Play Sound option to play the sound. If offline, just search the location manually.
How to Find AirPod Case: By Playing a Sound
You can use this option when your AirPods case still houses the AirPods inside it. Follow the steps below to find your AirPods by playing a sound.
How to find AirPod case by playing music
- Open your Find my iPhone app.
- Scroll through the list of paired devices and choose the option with your AirPods.
- If you see a green dot next to the name, it means that your device is online. Look for the play button next to it.
- Tap the play button, and it will start playing music, raise the volume to highest and follow the music to find your AirPods case.
How to Find AirPod Case: When AirPods are Offline
You can use this method when your AirPods case shows offline in the Find My app. It is a simple method to help you get to the last location where your AirPods case went offline. Follow the steps below to find your AirPods when they are offline.
How to Find AirPod Case when they show offline:
- Open Find my iPhone app.
- Check out the list of devices you’ve paired with your iPhone or Apple ID and choose the option with your AirPods.
- If there is a grey dot next to the name of your AirPod, then this means that your AirPods are offline.
- In such a case, look for the Car button and tap on it. You can now navigate to the last location.
How to Find AirPod Case: Other Common Issues
There are different case scenarios for users who lose their AirPods. Some of them end up losing AirPods in different locations, or some other uncommon issue hovers between them and finding their AirPods. We try to address such scenarios with our definitive – Find my AirPods — guide.
What if my AirPods are missing in different locations?
You can only view one AirPod location at a time if your AirPods are not in the case. Locate one AirPod by using the map or sound. Once you’ve located it, be sure to store it in the AirPod carrying case. Next, reopen the Find My’s map and find the other lost AirPod.
What if I only lost one AirPod?
Start with the AirPod you have left in the case if you’ve only misplaced a single pair. One location at a time appears on the map while your AirPods are apart. You should keep the one you have inside its case for this very reason.
Using the Find My App, locate the AirPod by tapping its name. A sound will play when the AirPod is found. Right or left AirPod (the one that’s missing) can be used to play sound. If you are using iOS 12’s Find My iPhone app, you can silence the AirPod you already have inside the case to listen and follow the sound made by missing AirPod intently.
What if my AirPods were stolen
If someone steals your AirPods, then they can easily reset and connect them with their own device and Apple ID, even if you have the Find My feature activated.
Resetting them and then re-pairing those AirPods to a different device removes their location from the Find My app and removes them from your device list.
Also Read: Can stolen Airpods be used?
Once the AirPods have a new owner and have been linked to their device and ID, you will no longer be able to activate the buzzing sound, update their location, or track them, even if they are nearby.
What if my AirPods are completely lost
Replacement programs for AirPods and the charging case are available from Apple if you fail to find your AirPods, and the Find My app does not assist in locating them, or they are not found in the last location. But you won’t get the replacement for free. Maybe a discounted price, but they won’t provide you with a free replacement.
Apple now has a fee-replacement option in place if you lose an AirPod or charging case. Apple charges around $59 to $99 per AirPod or AirPods case if the current retail price varies depending on the region. You can also buy a standalone case for your AirPods. Yes, Apple sells AirPods cases separately as well. Usually, it costs around $70.
The real kicker is that Apple’s One-Year Limited Warranty covers servicing for your AirPods and charging case. Unfortunately, this warranty only covers battery malfunctions, not regular depreciation. This means that if you see that your AirPod batteries are running low, you may have to pay Apple’s battery service cost.
Frequently Asked Questions
Now that we have covered most topics related to how to find AirPod case, we must address some other related questions.
Can you track AirPods case?
Yes, you can track your AirPods case. Just open the Find My app and find your AirPods name in the list of paired devices. Once you find the AirPods name, tap the car button next to it to get the last location of your AirPods.
What do I do if I lost my AirPod case?
If you lost your AirPods case, just head to the Find My app on your iPhone or access your iCloud account from any browser to find the last location of your AirPods. It shows the last location until your AirPods went offline.
It’s an unfortunate experience to lose your AirPods or the case. To begin with, you’ll need to be careful to protect them from being lost or misplaced. While we did suggest some functional methods about how to find AirPod case, we also have a great article on how not to lose your AirPods in the first place!
Check this out: How to not lose airpods (even if you forget things easily)
Apple’s “Find My” function has made our lives easier, but it’s worth acknowledging its restrictions. Your AirPods or AirPods case are practically hard to locate if they are outside of the Bluetooth range. After losing it, replacing your AirPods case is a huge pain since it must be done right away for your devices to operate properly.
We hope this guide helps you in finding your lost AirPod case. Let us know in the comments!
Related Read: How to Turn On AirPods without Case