After you buy a Roku device and sign up for a streaming service account, there are a plethora of ways to develop a 4-digit pin. The Roku PIN is an additional security feature that shields your account against unsanctioned transactions.
However, a major inconvenience of having this numerical password, particularly for people who own numerous smart devices that demand different passwords, is the probability of forgetting it. Forgetting the PIN can lead to problems that make it difficult to do tasks, such as adding Roku channels.
If you’re a newbie or simply forgetful, this guide will explain all the troubleshooting tips. You’ll learn how to find Roku PIN below.
Let’s get started.
How to Find Your Roku PIN
If you’re wondering how to find Roku PIN, follow these steps:
- First, go to my.roku.com on a web browser and sign into your account, if needed.
- In the PIN preference section, you can see your current PIN preferences.
- Choose the Roku PIN preference you prefer and save changes.
The Best Ways to Find Roku PIN
Roku streaming players connect to your Roku account, allowing you to buy different subscriptions to channels via the official manufacturer store.
PIN stands for Personalized Identification Number, and it’s set up to prevent unauthorized users from buying anything on your behalf. This security feature monitors the downloads and transactions on your Roku device.
When the PIN is confirmed, it should be accurately entered to legitimize transactions through the Roku Store. But what if you don’t remember your PIN and are wondering how to find it? The following section will take you through different methods to do exactly this.
Also Read: Roku Overheating and What to Do About It
How to Generate Roku PIN
So you’re thinking of adding channels or resubscribing to premium content on the Roku TV. Suddenly, you discover that you’ve forgotten the PIN. This can be annoying because you can’t do what you were planning on your device.
Therefore, let’s first learn how to find your Roku PIN.
Make or Update the PIN
- Visit the official Roku website.
- Sign in to your Roku account by entering your password and email ID. Skip this step if you’re automatically logged in.
- After signing in, you will be welcomed to your Roku account.
- You will be taken to the main menu page. Now, go to “My Account.”
- Find the PIN preference. You can choose to update it here.
- There will be an update button, which will offer three alternatives for achieving this.
- Choose an option you like. The options are as follows:
- No need to enter the PIN to buy channels from the store.
- Demand the PIN during transactions.
- Always request the PIN while adding channels or buying goods.
- Make a brand new 4-digit PIN if you choose either of the last two preferences. Create the PIN by entering your new one.
- Confirm it by tapping on “Verify PIN.”
- Now, you have complete authority to buy or add new channels from the store.
Press Save Changes after adding the PIN and validation. The website will reload, and you will be redirected to the ‘My Account’ page again. Your PIN will now be functional and instantly saved to your account.
And that’s our first solution to finding the Roku PIN.
Need a visual guide for this complete procedure? See the helpful YouTube tutorial below:
Note: Don’t disclose your personal PIN to anyone. Giving access can give them the freedom to buy goods from your account. Don’t use generic numerals or your birthday, as people can usually guess these.
Is your Roku remote blinking green? If yes, read our guide here: How to Fix Your Roku TV Remote Blinking Green Light
If you are still struggling with your PIN, the only other option is to reach out to the manufacturer’s customer support. Their team of professionals will thoroughly guide you through troubleshooting.
Enable Parental Controls with Roku PIN
Now that we know the two ways to find the Roku PIN, it’s time to discuss other exciting things you can do with this feature.
Not all available Roku content is appropriate for children. Therefore, parental controls help parents to hide explicit content. Plus, the feature blocks the playback of restricted content and obstructs access to children, stopping them from buying paid content from the account.
Whenever hidden content is opened, the device will require the user to enter the PIN. Parents can activate this super useful parental control in this way:
- Launch the manufacturer’s website.
- Access your account.
- Scroll down to the section titled Parental Controls for the Roku Channel.
- Here, pick any of the below choices:
- Teens: This option makes TV-Y7, G, TV-Y, PG, and PG-13 content accessible on the Roku device. Teenagers can watch these channels without needing a PIN. But a PIN is required to access content other than this.
- Young children: Roku channels rated as TV-Y7, G, TV-PG, TV-G, and TV-Y can be viewed without the PIN.
- Little children: Parents with little kids can restrict channels rated as Not Rated, R, Unrated, TV-Y7, NC-17, TV-PG, TV-14, and PG-13. However, small children can view TV-G, TV-Y, and G content without entering the PIN.
As always, tap on Save Changes!
Set Purchase PIN
A purchase PIN is crucial if you share the Roku account with other users. By setting up this PIN, any time a user attempts to carry out a transaction, they will have to enter the purchase PIN.
This prevents everyone from making meaningless transactions on your credit card. Does the idea of the purchase PIN appeal to you? You can set it up by following the below instructions:
- Visit the Roku website.
- Log in to your account.
- Tap on My Account from the main menu.
- Three options will be present here — Payment Method, PIN Preference, and Account Information.
- Press the Update button, which is present below the PIN Preference label.
- Click on “Always require a PIN to make a purchase.”
- Now, tap on Change Current PIN. Insert your new PIN. Remember that if you didn’t have a PIN before doing this, the website will showcase a “Create PIN” option.
Finally, tap on Save Changes.
How to Reset Your Roku Pin
Now, you are free to make transactions, view anything, and add content without needing to enter the PIN. But to reset your PIN, you will need to factory reset the Roku device. This hard reset permanently deletes your previous PIN.
That’s not all, though — it also erases user preferences, custom settings, saved accounts, parental controls, and payment methods.
So, if you don’t want your stored information to get lost, simply stick with the fixes mentioned above, as they won’t delete anything from your Roku account.
Now that we’ve learned earlier how to find your Roku PIN, it’s time to learn how to reset the PIN. Keep reading the next section to see how it’s done.
This process can be achieved through the settings. Follow the below instructions:
- Switch on the TV and Roku.
- Press Home on the remote.
- Scroll down and tap on Settings.
- Tap on System > Advanced System Settings.
- Select Factory Reset from the available options.
- If you own a Roku TV, choose Factory Reset Everything.
You can execute a factory reset through the Roku device’s buttons. Here are the instructions:
- Find the reset button on your Roku. The reset button is typically on two areas of the device — the back or the bottom. This button will be clearly labeled as ‘Reset.’ Note that some buttons display a pinhole style, while some are tactile.
- Press and hold the Reset button for 10 seconds. If your button is tactile, your fingers will help. But if it’s the other one, use a pin or paperclip to poke the hole.
- The status LED will blink. Afterward, allow a few minutes for the device to rest. Now, the LED light will begin to blink quickly.
- After the light starts to blink rapidly, set up the device again. Then enter your login information after the Roku device restarts.
- A pin-free user experience awaits you!
How To Bypass the Roku PIN Lock
It’s possible to bypass this security feature, which becomes necessary in certain situations, like the ones listed below. However, you will need to know the login information for your account.
When Purchasing Goods From the Roku Store
Roku asks for your PIN whenever you buy apps or movies, but only if you have set one up. If you would like to bypass this step during transactions, see the instructions below:
- Open the official manufacturer’s website.
- Login to your Roku account.
- Click on your profile and tap on My Account.
- Below the PIN preference on the new page, click on Update.
- Navigate to “Making Purchases and adding content.”
- Choose the third select button. — “A PIN is not required.” Choose Save Changes.
Doing this will stop the device from asking you for the code whenever you add new content or buy from the Roku Store.
Bypass Parental Controls
If parents wish to disable or adjust the parental controls, they can do so by following these instructions:
- Login to your Roku account.
- Navigate to My Account.
- Choose Update below the PIN Preference section.
- There will be a section titled “Parental Controls for The Roku Channel.” Click on it.
- Think about the new parental control you wish for the well-being of your children and select the parental control level accordingly.
- If your kids are now big enough to view explicit content, it’s better to turn it off altogether. But remember that turning off parental controls will not impose restrictions on any channel or content.
- The first radio button is labeled as Off. Simply press it.
- Scroll down to save your changes.
You should know that whatever other streaming apps you own, like Netflix, come with their own parental controls. Therefore, you need to disable these individually.
Additional Information To Manage The Roku PIN
We have explored different methods to find the Roku PIN. But to boost your user experience, here are some tips and suggestions on using your Roku PIN:
- After setting up the PIN, it won’t influence the current Roku channels. Instead, it will only be needed for purchasing new content/subscriptions.
- When setting the PIN, don’t forget to update the payment method to either a credit/debit card or PayPal. You need to decide which one should be the default payment method. Otherwise, the PIN will be useless for buying new channels or subscriptions.
- You won’t be able to buy all the existing content available on the Roku streaming player with the PIN only. The reason is that some channels must be purchased directly from the seller.
- The PIN isn’t only there to facilitate payments — users can use the PIN to buy Roku accessories or upgrade the device.
Did you already know these things about your Roku PIN??
Your Roku PIN is a highly sensitive numeric code that you should handle with care. If the user is reckless with it, others can easily misuse it by buying different subscriptions via the user’s account. This will wreck your budget and affect your financial condition in a worst-case scenario.
Therefore, be careful and immediately update your PIN if you suspect a third party has gotten ahold of it. We hope this guide has provided sufficient information on how to find Roku PIN.
Which method helped you discover your PIN? Don’t forget to mention it in the comments. Thanks for reading!