The future is bright for those who want to be thoroughly entertained by their Smart TVs. With streaming video and applications, there is no limit to what you can watch or do. And speaking of Smart TVs, LG is probably the most popular manufacturer with its WebOS-based product line.
Like all other electronic devices, malfunctioning might occur. That’s the moment when LG TV users should think about resetting their TV.
If you’re having this problem, don’t worry because this guide will explain how to reset LG TV in a few simple steps.
Let’s get started.
Do lg tvs include a reset button?
As of yet, the manufacturer lacks a proper reset button for either a soft or factory reset. But if you wish to conduct a fast, soft reset, simply press and hold down the center button located on the TV’s control panel or the OK button on the remote for 5 seconds. This will kickstart the soft reset automatically.
When is a hard reset necessary?
LG TVs are best-in-class TVs available on the market. They present several models at different price points with unbeatable quality. However, everyone knows that issues can happen even with the best available devices.
When an LG TV exhibits problems, a hard reset is the best solution to fix software-related malfunctions. But it’s best to do a reboot first. If that does not work, then a factory reset is a foolproof option.
So, how do you reset LG TV? It can be done with or without the remote. Let’s review all the methods below.
How-to reset an lg tv
If you have never tweaked settings on your LG TV, don’t worry, as resetting is a straightforward process with or without the remote.
With the remote
First, we will learn how to reset your LG TV using your remote. Read the following instructions:
- Click the Home button on the remote.
- This will open the Menu.
- Alternatively, you can tap on Settings for a few seconds to open the settings.
- In settings, the reset choice is located below the General section.
- Insert the password for resetting the TV.
- Don’t know the password? Simply enter 1234 or 0000. The password is usually a pin which can be discovered by looking for your TV model on the official manufacturer’s website.
- Tap on the Reset option.
- Finally, confirm the pop-ups.
If you have difficulty navigating to the Menu, Settings, or Reset buttons on the model or if the device is positioned in a tight spot, we have some tips for you.
Try directly plugging in the USB keyboard at the back of the TV. Afterward, you may use the keyboard to search. This will quickly reset the TV.
If you don’t like the above hack, we have another option. Simply install the LG ThinQ app (available for both Android and iOS) on your mobile phone to work with your LG smart TV. Once you have connected the TV to the LG ThinQ app, this will give you the freedom to use the mobile as a remote.
Lastly, another option is to invest in a universal remote and insert the suitable manufacturer code to operate the remote.
This simple process will reset your TV and, in turn, hopefully, resolve whatever malfunction is occurring with your TV. If you have lost your remote, worry not, as you can reset your TV without using the remote.
Without the remote
This method uses the control panel on the TV. Check out the instructions:
- Press and hold down the Power button situated at the bottom panel of the device. If the reset occurs after 10 seconds, then skip the next step. But if it doesn’t reset, move to the following step.
- Use the joystick-style control panel on the TV to go to Settings and Menu.
- Now, you can choose the remaining options by practicing the same instructions as you did with the remote mentioned above.
- From here, navigate to the Menu, then Settings.
- Go to General Settings and choose the Reset option.
- Confirm the prompt and add the model’s password.
Enable the reset to complete.
Here is another fast and effortless way to “soft reset” the LG TV without any remote:
- Unplug the TV from the power outlet.
- Hold down the physical power button present on the model for a complete minute.
- Wait patiently for a minute, then plug the TV in again.
This process is termed a soft reset or power cycling. It eliminates software glitches or errors. Users can find the Power button below the logo symbol.
Also Read: Turning on the WiFi on LG TVs
How to Reset the Pin
Often, users find pin codes and passwords very complicated and tend to forget them. And when you do not use this information for a long period of time, it is possible to forget them altogether.
But it is impossible to reset your LG TV if you have forgotten the parental lock or pin code. Usually, this data is entered into your TV when you set it up for the first time.
So, what should someone who has forgotten the parental lock or pin code do? There is a hack — reset the pin code you set up earlier.
- Navigate to the Menu bar using your remote control and select the Settings button.
- Scroll down to discover the Advanced Settings button.
- Scroll down to find the Safety options in the tab.
- There will be an option called Reset Password, but you should not click it. Simply highlight it with your cursor and click on Channel Up two times.
- Afterward, click the down button and then hit the Channel Up button again.
- This rare built-in code assists individuals who no longer remember their password.
- Insert 0325 or 0313 n the subsequent pop-up dialogue box.
- Now, add 0000 in the safety dialogue box that appears next.
- At this point, you will view a screen where the password can be changed.
Use the latest password to carry out the reset. This process will be identical to the reset mentioned above instructions.
How to factory reset an lG tv
A hard or factory reset refers to the removal of all the stored preferences and information. In simple terms, your TV will return to the default original settings present when it first came.
This is the reason why it is advised that users only attempt this process if all other solutions fail. So, how to reset LG TV? Follow these simple instructions:
- Open all the settings from the Menu bar. Tap on Support.
- Navigate to the General Settings on a new screen and choose them.
- Go to the option termed Reset to Initial Settings. Doing so will kickstart the hard reset process.
- Follow the warning boxes and click on Confirm to make sure that you wish to conduct a factory reset.
- The device will request you to enter your TV password. After entering it, the hard reset will take place.
- You should patiently wait for the procedure to be over.
Your TV will request you to set it up again, similar to how you set it up for the first time after buying it.
Without the remote
Users can follow the same instructions as mentioned above but do it without their remote. However, you will have to search the side of the bottom control panel of the TV.
The control panel includes a joystick-style control and some buttons that enable you to navigate between the model’s subsequent options and its Menu.
You will have to follow the instructions mentioned above with the help of the joystick. And, of course, the hard reset process will occur in the same way. The only difference is the input mode. Follow these instructions:
- Use the joystick-style control panel on the device to navigate to the Settings and Menu bar.
- Search for the General Settings in a new tab and choose them.
- Go to Reset to Initial Settings. Here, the hard reset will occur.
- Follow the on-screen prompts and tap on Confirm to make sure that you wish to carry out the factory reset.
- The device will request you to enter your TV password. After entering the data, the hard reset will initiate.
Wait patiently until the procedure is complete. Now, the device will request you to set it up again, similar to the very first time you did it.
Another shorter method
Do you find the above procedures to be quite intricate and time-consuming? We have another hack for busy TV owners. Rather than unplugging the TV to conduct a factory reset, you only have to follow a simple shortcut. Here are the instructions:
- Press and hold down the Volume and Power Key buttons simultaneously.
- You should hold down these buttons for ten seconds.
- At this point, the manufacturer’s LG logo will appear.
That’s it! Isn’t it super easy? You can follow any of the three methods to complete a factory reset.
This concludes our guide on how to reset your LG TV. We hope you take advantage of the easy and smooth reset procedures, both with and without a remote.
Were you able to resolve your malfunctioning LG TV? If yes, which method did you use to reset it successfully? Share them with us in the comments. Thanks for reading!