Taking screenshots is one of the most basic functions we frequently use on laptops, PCs, smartphones, or tablets. Not just evidence of what you see on your screen, screenshots also come in super handy in explaining a step-by-step process.
On Lenovo, you can capture a screenshot on Windows 10 using keyboard shortcuts – hold down the Windows key, then press PrtSc key. If your keyboard requires you to press the function plus print screen, hold and press them together to take a screenshot.
How to screenshot on Lenovo
Lenovo has a slightly different way to take a screenshot, so if you plan to buy a Lenovo PC or laptop, you should know how to screenshot on Lenovo. There are different Lenovo laptops on the market, such as ThinkPad, Yoga, and Chromebook. This article will walk you through each step to take a screenshot on Lenovo.
How to screenshot on Thinkpad with Windows 10
If you have Windows 10 running on your Lenovo laptop, follow the steps below to learn how to screenshot on Thinkpad:
- Press and hold the Windows key and the Print Screen (PrtSc) simultaneously
- As you press both the keys simultaneously, you will notice the display getting dim
- Your screenshot will be saved in your “Files” under the “screenshot” folder
How to take a screenshot on Thinkpad using different method:
- Press the Windows key and “W” key simultaneously
- When you press both the keys, you will see a sidebar menu showing up on the right side of your screen
- Click on “screen sketch” in the menu to see your screenshot
- You can also make custom edits to the screenshot, like annotating it
- Click “save” to apply changes
How to screenshot on Lenovo Thinkpad without Windows 10
Taking a screenshot on a Lenovo Thinkpad without Windows 10 is a bit different. Here’s what you need to do:
- Press PrtSc to copy the image to your clipboard
- Now, open Microsoft Paint or any other editing tool on your device
- Once the tool opens, press Ctrl + V to paste the image copied to your clipboard
- Make edits if you want to annotate the image
- Finally, click save or press Ctrl + S to save the screenshot
How to screenshot on Thinkpad with Windows 11
You can adopt various methods to take a screenshot on your Lenovo laptop running Windows 11 using the PrtSc key.
On Windows 11, the Print Screen key is a quick way to take a screenshot. Press the Print Screen (Prt Scr or PrtScn) key on your laptop to take a screenshot. When combined with other keys, this functionality becomes more advanced. Take a look at different Print Screen combinations that you can use to take screenshots on Windows 11 laptops.
Note: The Fn (function) key must be pressed alongside PrtSc to take a screenshot on some laptops.
Press PrtScn: You can copy the full screen to the clipboard by pressing and holding the Print Screen key. You can paste the copied image into an image-editing tool like Microsoft Paint.
Windows + PrtScn: Pressing both the Windows and Print Screen keys at the same time captures the full screen as an image file. This file is accessible via the “Pictures” option under the “Screenshots” folder.
Alt + PrtScn: If you press both the Alt and PrtScn keys at the same time, the active tab or window will be copied to the clipboard and can be pasted into any supported application you want.
Microsoft is phasing out the Snipping Tool for a more refined Snip and Sketch tool. It is a more advanced version of the Snipping Tool that includes a powerful picture editor.
You can also use the Snip and Sketch tool on Windows 11 to take a screenshot. The tool allows you to grab the required portion of the screen and save it as a snapshot without copying it anywhere, such as Paint or Word. Follow the steps below to get started.
- Press “Windows + Shift + S“ key combination to launch the Snip and Sketch
- Now, the screen will immediately darken, and the Snip and Sketch ribbon containing all of the screenshot editing options will appear on your screen. You may now choose from different shapes and types of screenshot size – a full-screen screenshot, a rectangle snip, a free-form snip, or a snapshot of the active window
- When you’re finished, go to “File” and click “Save As.” to export the screenshot to your desired location on the system
How to screenshot on Lenovo Yoga with Windows 10
If you use a Lenovo Yoga laptop with Windows 10 OS, follow the below-mentioned methods to take screenshots.
Method 1: Using keyboard shortcuts
- Press and hold the Windows key + Shift key + S key simultaneously
- Click and Drag your mouse to the area you want to capture and release the mouse click to take the screenshot
- You will find the laptop in “Pictures” under the “Screenshots” folder
Method 2: Using the Snipping tool
Snipping Tool is a built-in tool on Windows 10 to take screenshots. The Snipping Tool on Yoga laptop lets you take custom screenshots in the desired shape (rectangle, square, etc.) and annotate them easily. Here’s how you can take a screenshot on a Yoga laptop using the Snipping Tool.
- Open the Start menu and search for “Snipping Tool”
- Open the tool and click “new”
- Now click the Mouse and drag it to the area you want to capture and release the mouse to take a screenshot
- The screenshot will now appear in your Snipping Tool, and you can edit or annotate it as you want
- Now, click on the “Save Snip” icon to save the screenshot
How to screenshot on Lenovo Yoga without Windows 10
If you own a Yoga laptop without Windows 10, use the following method that blends the functionality of taking and editing a screenshot.
1. Press and hold the PrtSc (Print Screen) key to copy the image you want to screenshot to the clipboard
2. Open Paint or any other image editing app and “paste” the image by pressing Ctrl + V
3. You can mark up the image as you want, click on the “File” option in the top toolbar and click “Save” to export it to your files
The process of taking a screenshot on Yoga laptop running Windows 11 remains the same as ThinkPad running Windows 11. Refer to the method in the “Thinkpad” section from this article.
How to screenshot on Lenovo tablet
If you are using a Lenovo Windows/Android tablet, the method of taking a screenshot is the same: Press and hold the power button and the Volume down (-) button simultaneously to take a screenshot.
However, if you use one of Lenovo’s highly marketed 2-in-1 or detachable tablets with keyboards, you need to use the Snip & Sketch tool through the Notification Center to take a screenshot. Follow the steps below to know how to take a screenshot on Lenovo tablet:
- Open Notification Center from the right side of the Windows taskbar
- Click the “Expand All” option located near the bottom
- Click the “Screen Snip” option to open Snip & Sketch
- Edit the screenshot if you want and then “save” it
How to screenshot on Lenovo Chromebook
If you own a Lenovo Chromebook Duet or a 2-in-1 Chromebook that can double as a tablet, you can take a screenshot by pressing and holding the power button and volume down button at the same time.
For a regular Lenovo Chromebook, you can use the following methods to take a screenshot of the full screen or a select portion.
To screenshot the entire screen: You need to Press Ctrl + Window Switcher (this key is placed in the top row). The screenshot is automatically saved in a folder named “files” and can be easily accessed by clicking the search icon in the lower taskbar.
To screenshot the select portion: Press Ctrl + Shift + Window Switcher key simultaneously. Then, select the portion you want to screenshot and take a screenshot. You can access the saved screenshot from the files folder.
How to screenshot on Lenovo using apps
If you don’t like remembering keyboard shortcuts or prefer having a dedicated app to capture and manage your screenshots, you can check out the best third-party apps you can use to take a screenshot on Lenovo using an app.
Taking a screenshot on Lenovo using Snagit
Snagit is one of the most popular screenshot-taking apps that you can install on your Lenovo laptops and PCs to capture a screenshot. Follow the steps below to take a screenshot using the Snagit app.
- Download Snagit
- Run the app and create your account
- Click the Capture button
- Click and drag your mouse to select the portion you want to screenshot and release your mouse to retain the frame
- Now, click the camera icon to capture the selected portion
- You also have an option to edit/annotate your screenshot using the Snagit Editor
- After editing, press Ctrl and S to save the screenshot
Taking a screenshot on Lenovo using Markup Hero
Another popular screenshot app for Lenovo is Markup Hero. You can capture, edit, and annotate screenshots as you require.
- Download Markup Hero –– compatible with all Windows versions
- Finish installing the app
- Now, press Ctrl + Shift + 1 simultaneously to start the app and take a screenshot
- After pressing the keys, you will see a crosshair icon on your screen
- Drag the crosshair selector to select the portion of the screen you want to capture
- Click “copy and download” to export the screenshot to your files
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some of the most asked questions about how to take a screenshot on Lenovo.
Where is the screenshot folder on Lenovo?
The screenshot folder gets saved in the path C:\Users\[Your Name]\Pictures\Screenshots. You can find all your screenshots in a sub-folder under “pictures” or “files.” depending on your Lenovo device.
What is PrtScn button?
The Print Screen key, also known as PrtScn or PrtSc, is a keyboard key present on most keyboards. Depending on the operating system or running program, pressing the key sends the current screen snapshot to the computer clipboard or the printer.
Where is the PrtScn button on a laptop?
The PrtScn key is generally located between the F12 and Scroll Lock keys on the topmost row of your keyboard. It is usually labeled “PrtScn,” “PrntScrn,” or “Print Scr.” When using a full-size keyboard, look above the Insert key.
What is the key for snipping tool?
Click the Start button, search for the snipping tool, and press Enter to launch the Snipping Tool. (There isn’t a keyboard shortcut to launch the Snipping Tool.) To select a snip, click Alt + M, use the arrow keys to select the Snip, and then hit Enter.
What do you do when Snipping Tool doesn’t work?
If the Snipping Tool isn’t functioning correctly, you can stop and restart it. Open the Task Manager, press “Ctrl+Alt+Delete” on the keyboard together. Find and kill the SnippingTool.exe file, then restart and try taking a screenshot.
Why is my snip and sketch not working?
There could be several reasons why snip and sketch is not working on your device. The most common reasons are conflicting third-party apps, corrupted files, or incorrect shortcuts created for the tool to launch.
How do I automatically save Snip and Sketch screenshots?
Snip & Sketch lacks an auto-save function. To save a screenshot to a file, click the notification when it pops.
Overall, taking a screenshot on Lenovo is an easy task once you get the hang of all keyboard shortcuts and combinations. Additionally, you get an option to use third-party apps to consolidate your screenshot capturing and editing efforts.
We hope our guide helps you understand how to screenshot on Lenovo — use our methods to take and edit screenshots on your Lenovo device seamlessly. Please share your thoughts with us in the comments!